X
numero verde
 
Info vai al dettaglio

In Roman times, fine amphorae were produced in this area, in a settlement known as Anphorianum, on the plane in the direction of Pollenzo. In 1753, after various other historical events, the village passed into the hands of the Savoia family: King Charles Emanuel III assigned it to his youngest son, Benedetto Maria Maurizio, Duke of Chiablese.
A typical hilltop village, its castle and tower dominate the Tanaro plain, with its expanses of forests and vineyards. As we climb up to the village from the plain, we immediately encounter a mysterious Roman “ruin”. A series of hairpin bends, amongst trees through which it is only occasionally possible to glimpse the landscape below, lead to the hill; from here, the spectacle is truly priceless.
In the
Confraternity of San Francesco we find the precious cycle of frescoes depicting the scenes of the Passion (mid 16th century), the work of an unknown artist who is often referred to as the Maestro di Santa Vittoria. The village is home to two interesting collections: the Gioacchino Chiesa Plaster Cast Gallery and the Diageo Glass Collection, which relates to the important industry based in Cinzano and which gives the hamlet its name.
Here, the Grande Sentiero del Roero itinerary branches off into various smaller routes, which pass through vineyards and forests with archaeological remains on their way to extraordinary viewpoints. In the bowels of the hills lie the wine cellars built at the behest of Charles Albert, in which Francesco Cinzano introduced the sparkling wine production process.

 
PlacesPlacesPlacesPlaces